The intestine is also known as the bowel, is a part of our digestive system. Here complete digestion takes place nutrients from the partially digested food from the stomach are absorbed into the bloodstream. The intestine has many finger-like inward projections called villi which increase the surface area for maximum absorption. The ‘walls of the intestine’ are made up of four permeable thin layers for easy absorption into the blood.
The condition of gut hyperpermeability or intestinal permeability is called the leaky gut. Epithelia are the physical blockades of the intestine, also called the tight junctions. When the adjacent epithelia of the intestine loosen, the permeability of the intestine increases, causing a leaky gut. Leaky gut is a problematic and irritable condition as the absorption membrane of the intestine selectively absorbs the good nutrients; leaky gut leads to harmful substances being absorbed into the blood.
Causes of Leaky Gut
- Dysbiosis: The state of the bowels, when the good-probiotic bacteria decreases and pathogenic bacteria increases in the intestinal tract, is called dysbiosis. It is due to hormonal imbalance.
- Unhealthy lifestyle; Not getting proper sleep, smoking cigarettes, consuming alcohol, and too much stress cause hormonal imbalance and can cause leaky gut.
- Excess antibiotic consumption: Antibiotics prevent the growth of bacteria. They are used for treating certain diseases as a side effect. It destroys the good bacteria present inside the intestine.
- Poor diet: Not eating a balanced diet and not consuming natural foods rich in probiotics also leads to a leaky gut.
How to heal leaky gut
‘The leaky gut syndrome’ is curable, with the help of a few prime leaky gut supplements mentioned below-
- Probiotics: These are living yeasts and bacteria that are beneficial for the functioning and maintenance of a healthy digestive system. Their prescribed dosage helps with the functioning of nerves that regulate gut movement. It reduces swelling of the gut, treats dysbiosis, and conserves the function of the gut lining, that is, the selective absorption of good nutrients.
Natural sources of probiotics are yogurt, kefir, miso, pickles, etc.
- L-glutamine: It is an amino acid, a source of energy for immune cells and the intestine. Among all the leaky gut supplements, this one shows the most promising results during stress. It restores the leaky gut barrier and any other damage. It lessens inflammation of the gut or intestine. It has shown effective results in treating symptoms of the leaky gut like bloating, etc.
Natural sources of L-glutamine are chicken, fish, cabbage, spinach, dairy, etc.
- Vitamin-D: This nutrient strengthens the bones and is also one of the leaky gut supplements. It not only toughens the immune system but also fixes intestinal permeability. It helps to relieve symptoms such as constipation, bloating, diarrhea, fatigue, etc.
Sources of Vitamin-D are safe sun exposure, fatty fish, seafood, egg yolks, Vitamin-d powder supplement, etc.
There are dozens of leaky gut supplements available in the market. While buying leaky gut supplements, make sure to check the contents. Formulating ingredients should at least contain the above-mentioned leaky gut supplements. Besides supplements, it is advised to practice yoga and exercise for a healthy gut and to have a balanced diet in your daily routine.